Monday 20 August 2012

Get tanned - stay safe!


Hiya everyone!

I am on holiday in the beautiful Greek island of Serifos, in the Cyclades. With a background of white houses on dark hills, I have been enjoying swimming into turquoise waters and getting a tan so much that I made a video to share with you all my tanning tips and tricks for a safe, even and golden tan.  This blog post gives you more details of how to achieve the best tan.
Years of experience, under the smouldering Greek sun!!!

Now, when I go to the beach, I always try to protect my skin from the bad boy called Sun, but also my hair from the roughness of the sea water.  So the first steps are always taken when I’m still at home.
Just before I put my bathing suit on at home, I will take a shower, wet my hair and put a leave-in conditioner on my hair, so that it is protected and remains smooth and silky, even after swimming in the sea and not washing it for a few hours.  This year, I have been using the Aussie Miracle Colour Insurance leave-in conditioner, which I spray on to wet hair and then comb with a thick comb.  This will stay on my hair until I immerse into the deep blue sea and will protect my hair against the saltiness of the sea. Hair: check!

The next step is to apply my sun screen. (You will need to apply the sun screen at least half an hour before you expose your skin to the sun).   I have an olive skin, which tans very easily, but I also burn if I’m not careful, so for the first 5-6 days at least, I will always put a high SPF product – 25-30 for my body and 30 for my face.  This summer I am using Boots Soltan Once Invisible 8hr Sun Protection (SPF 25) in a lovely spray-gel for my body and for the face Soltan Face Moisturising Suncare Cream (SPF 30), which were BOGOF so that was a fabulous bargain!  And I have been using them all these days, so I have been very satisfied, as I have acquired an even tan, and have not been burnt at all. Loving the Boots brand, as always J

When I reach the beach, carelessness takes over and I completely let myself loose into the sea and the waves. I love the sea and I love swimming, I can’t imagine a holiday without these two elements.
So I will plunge into the sea for at least 30-45 minutes and enjoy my swim.  Now, you might not realise that, but the strength of the sun is doubled when you’re in the sea, that is why it’s crucial you keep your head wet all the time and keep moving in the water so your face, neck and shoulders don’t burn.

Everything needs moisture when you come out of the sea: your face, your body, your hair.  So it was a good thing I carried with me Paul Mitchell’s Awapuhi Moisture Mist hydrating gel, from July’s Glossybox.  This little bottle is pure magic. It moisturises the skin and the hair and smells amazing! It was a great hit with me and my sister at the beach this summer!!
An absolute must in my beach bag has always been Evian Facial Spray (Brumisateur).  I spray it on my face and neck to take away the salt water and then I tap gently with a small towel to feel refreshed and salt-free!  I can’t survive the beach without it!

Of course, I will always renew my sun screen on my body and face when I come out of the sea, at least the first time.  Especially on the shoulders, mine are the first parts of my body to burn, and also on my face – I will put sun screen one more time and then I will definitely go into the sea, at least one more time after 15-20 minutes of sun bathing.

By going in and out of the sea, the tanning process is sped up, without you noticing it and while staying safe.  Don’t forget to switch sides every time, so lie on your back for 15 mins, go back to the sea then lie on your front and so on, for an even tan.
You can also get an even tan, by playing sports at the beach, like racket ball or beach volley.  Not me though, I am lazy and clumsy at sports, so I’d rather read a book or listen to music while lounging on a chaise-long.

Finally, after having used the high SPF sun screen for the first 5-6 days (or a week, depending on how easily you tan and how sensitive your skin is) I will move to a tanning oil, like Hawaiian Tropic or Carrotene, with SPF 10, which will deepen the tan and give a bronzy colour, while keeping you protected.
My advice to stay safe while sunbathing: always go to the beach in the morning (I know, we’re on holiday so we might stay out late and wake up late hehe, but if you can just go), or in the afternoon at around 4 pm and until 6 pm, when the sun’s beams are not so harmful.  You will also enjoy it more.  

More importantly, wear a hat, stay under an umbrella if you feel too hot, drink lots of water while there and don’t face the sun for too long – 10 minutes max with a good sun screen every day will give you a healthy glow.

To keep my tan for many days and weeks to follow, even if I don’t go to the beach any more, I always exfoliate when I shower and ALWAYS apply a body lotion after the shower.  It doesn’t have to be a special “after sun” lotion – all these body milks are the same in my opinion. As long as you keep your skin moisturised and don’t let it peel,  your tan will last for many weeks!

TOWIE biyatches, eat your heart out!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:

Free Blog Templates